Church gets a roof deal
ST ANDREW S Church, Soham, has been awarded £80,000 to carry out roof repairs. English Heritage and the Heritage Lottery Fund have stepped in to stump up the money towards the £300,000 cost. The grant has been awarded as the church faces criticism from s
ST ANDREW'S Church, Soham, has been awarded £80,000 to carry out roof repairs.
English Heritage and the Heritage Lottery Fund have stepped in to stump up the money towards the £300,000 cost.
The grant has been awarded as the church faces criticism from some sections of the community, who are furious that St Andrew's is selling its hall to finance repairs to the church building. Church warden Chris Ward said the grant and the sale of the hall were separate issues.
"We are the only Grade I-listed building in the town," he said.
"The church has been there for 700 years and we want it to be kept up for another 700, so we are very pleased with the amount.
"The sale of the church hall will go ahead, but we still need to find a significant amount of money."
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 4 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 7 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 8 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 9 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 10 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
The grant is part of a £2.4m funding package to churches across the region - St Andrew's is one of three in Cambridgeshire to receive an award.
Robyn Llewellyn, Heritage Lottery fund manager in the East of England, said: "Our historic places of worship are enormously important in the life of communities and give character to towns and villages right across the country.