Christmas comes early to Ely Cathedral in a packed gift and food fair
- Credit: Archant
A glittering Christmas festive shopping experience greeted hundreds of visitors to Ely Cathedral when the building was packed for a fund raising gift and food fair.
Twinkling fairy lights hung over the shoppers as they browsed a huge variety of stalls with a buzzing festival style atomsphere that raised £2,270 for EACH, the children’s hopsice.
British Bake Off finalist Ian Cumming baked a cake for charity for the event which was sold for £80 and was bought by a local lady who plans to sell slices at a carol concert this Christmas to raise further funds.
Lucy Glover, the charity’s Cambridgeshire fund raiser, said: ““We are thrilled with the amount raised so far.
“The event had a fantastic atmosphere and we were so pleased to have Ian Cumming bake a cake for us to sell on our stall.
You may also want to watch:
“Ian’s cake generated lots of interest in our EACH stall which was really great. He was so friendly when he came along to meet our volunteers and said he was honoured to be asked to take part.
“I’d like to say a huge thank you to Ian and all our volunteers who worked so hard to make this event a great success.”
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
This year’s fair boasted more than 150 stalls, cooking and floristry demonstrations, vintage carousel rides, live reindeer and musical entertainment.