CHITTERING: RSPCA Find Bodies Of Four Geese Killed With Shotgun
THE RSPCA is appealing for information after the bodies of four geese were found on the Old West River, near to the Lazy Otter marina and public house in Chittering, Cambridgeshire. The domestic white geese were all dead when they were discovered by a riv
THE RSPCA is appealing for information after the bodies of four geese were found on the Old West River, near to the Lazy Otter marina and public house in Chittering, Cambridgeshire.
The domestic white geese were all dead when they were discovered by a river bailiff on Tuesday, April 14, near to the riverbank. RSPCA inspector Richard Lythgoe removed one of the bodies for a post mortem examination at the society's East Winch Wildlife Centre in Norfolk. Sixteen pieces of shot were found in the bird's body and head. Another of the birds had an injury to its wing, again caused by a shotgun.
It is thought that the birds were all killed some time on Easter Monday as shots were heard in the area.
Inspector Lythgoe said: "Clearly, it is not acceptable for people to use birds as targets and there are potential offences involved. We are investigating this incident along with the police and hope to hear from anyone who knows anything about the attacks."
You may also want to watch:
Those found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal could face a maximum six-month prison sentence and/or a �20,000 fine under the Animal Welfare Act, 2006. Killing or injuring wild birds is also prohibited under the Wildlife and Countryside Act, 1981, and carries a separate punishment of six months in prison and/or a �5,000 fine.
INFO: Anyone with information about these incidents should contact the RSPCA in confidence on 0300 1234 999.
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 3 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 4 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 5 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 6 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 7 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 8 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 9 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 10 Superb acting, singing and dancing at KD Theatre musical