Children give the thumbs up to village’s new playground
- Credit: Archant
Former waterskiing world champion Kim Manchett was on hand to open Wilburton’s brand new playground on Friday.
A £36,000 grant from waste disposal gian AmeyCespa enabled the project to be delivered ahead of schedule, providing brand new toddler and junior equipment for the village.
Mark Shelton, from AmeyCespa, attended and Wilburton Beer Festival members were also present to join in the fun – the 2013 festival raised £2,500 for the playground.
Tim Hickling was also in attendance, representing DHL which has contributed to the first phase and has already offered significant funding for the remaining part of the project.
Chris Fella, chairman of the Playground Working Group, thanked all members of the group for their hard work and the generosity of all sponsors, before handing over to Kim who officially opened the playground.
You may also want to watch:
She also brought along her Olympic torch to show the children which caused even more excitement. A mountain of cupcakes, made by local residents really added to the celebratory atmosphere, along with giant party poppers which exploded on cue as the ribbon was cut.
Funding for the second phase of the playground, which will extend the junior equipment range, is currently being secured and should see the playground being completed this summer.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 10 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely