Charity’s ring back’ plea
ELY community group SOFA is desperate for volunteers to contribute to the project. But, after a similar recent appeal for help, gremlins in the charity s answer phone meant 27 calls were lost. Now the organisers are hoping that anyone who tried to ring
ELY community group SOFA is "desperate" for volunteers to contribute to the project.
But, after a similar recent appeal for help, gremlins in the charity's answer phone meant 27 calls were lost.
Now the organisers are hoping that anyone who tried to ring a couple of weeks ago will call back and pledge support.
The Lynn Road-based organisation reclaims quality furniture and passes it on at minimal cost to members of the community, but the group is struggling because of a lack of staff.
You may also want to watch:
Project manager Sherry Halls said: "We need people who can lift - they could come in on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday or help out in the shop on Saturdays."
She said the group offers flexible working hours and any working arrangement would be compatible with the school run.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 10 Christmas comes early as festive lights couple hold trial switch-on
"We are an organisation run by Ely people for Ely people," Ms Halls said, "and we need the support of the community.
"But I'm worried that when our last appeal went out in the Ely Standard volunteers may have called, got lost in the workings of the answer machine and thought we hadn't bothered to get back to them. We can only apologise and say 'please call again'."
She said SOFA now has a supplier that is able to provide white goods, such as refrigerators and freezers, at an affordable price.
The charity is holding its annual meeting on July 13 at noon at its headquarters.
INFO: If you are interested in helping SOFA, contact the group on 01353 663418.