Charity Race helps the Animal Health Trust achieve phenomenal fundraising total
- Credit: Archant
Local riders, business owners, residents and charity the Animal Health Trust are all celebrating following an outstanding fundraising event at Newmarket Racecourse recently, which raised a phenomenal £52,000 for the charity’s veterinary research.
An annual event which showcases the crucial role that the charity plays in the equine industry, this year’s AHT Gala Race Day held on June 27 was better than ever, with fundraising activities including a raffle, auction and the charity’s first ever race helping to draw in donations.
The charity race, which was won by local beautician Amy Drummond of Envy Beauty in Newmarket, accelerated the fundraising total and provided an exciting addition to the programme of the day.
She battled her way to victory in an exhilarating race which was praised by spectators and race officials for its fierce competition which far exceeded that of a typical charity race.
Miss Drummond said: “Winning the AHT Charity Race was an amazing feeling. I enjoyed every part of it, from the fundraising to walking into the winners’ enclosure. The biggest achievement for me, besides winning, was that all of the riders put in so much effort for this amazing charity and really worked as a team. Thanks to everyone who helped me achieve something I’ll never forget, and to the AHT for a fantastic day.”
You may also want to watch:
With committee members from various Newmarket businesses and six of the seven charity race riders residing in the town, the event was a true credit to the people of Newmarket who all worked tirelessly to ensure it was a success.
This year’s fundraising total far exceeded previous years’ profits, providing the committee with a super challenge to beat the total next year.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 6 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
Noel Byrne, committee chairman and managing director of the Bedford Lodge Hotel and Spa, said: “The AHT Gala Race Day is a culmination of the hard work of the committee on behalf of the AHT, but more importantly, it shows how well supported the AHT is by both local and regional guests as well as many from much further afield. This year was our most successful day to date, and we look forward to achieving bigger and better results next year with the support of all our guests.”