Man from Ely ‘felt like a superstar’ after taking part in the London Marathon in aid of a charity close to his heart
- Credit: Archant
A man from Ely has raised more than £1,000 for charity after lacing up his running boots and taking part in the London Marathon.
It was the seventh year lucky with the ballot for the event, as Jason Day finally got the chance to run in aid of the National Ankylosing Spondylitis Society (NASS).
He said that he felt like a ‘superstar’ after competing in the marathon to raise awareness of the condition, which his wife also suffers from.
“I was starting to lose hope that the day would ever come, but I finally got a chance at the big one and I wanted to run for NASS,” he explained.
“Ankylosing Spondylitis is a horrible condition which my wife suffers from, but it is not common and often struggles for funding so anything can make a difference.
“The day was simply wonderful, if rather hot. But the crowds are just epic, they just do not stop screaming encouragement and I even managed to spot my family (Annette, Jacob and mum and dad) around mile 13.
“Then I heard some noisy NASS supporters at mile 22 and I heard a colleague shout around 24.
- 1 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 2 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 3 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 4 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 5 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 8 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 9 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
“The ballot for 2019 is now open so I’ve thrown my name in the hat again so fingers crossed for a repeat next year. It was a great event and you see the best of the world with the mass crowd encouragement – I felt like a superstar all day!”
Visit Jason’s fundraising page at: https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-display/showROFundraiserPage?userUrl=JasonDay4&pageUrl=2