Charitable Sutton cafe Nellie’s donates over £1,200 to local and national causes
- Credit: Archant
A generous community café in Sutton has donated over £1,200 to two charities after fundraising for six months.
Nellie’s Community Café, on Pound Lane, is run by volunteers and opens its doors twice a month, offering a place for people to relax and enjoy a bite to eat in the village.
Over the last six months, volunteers at the café have given customers the opportunity to decide which cause they’d like the café to donate to by giving them tokens, which are then placed into boxes the charity of the customer’s choice.
This year, Nellie’s decided to divide the funds between Scamps – a parent, baby and toddler scheme in Sutton – and Hearing Dogs for the Deaf.
Once the six months was up, representatives from the two charities gathered in Sutton for two cheque presentations, led by volunteer, Helen Malkin.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “We’ve been giving our customers the chance to choose which charity they’d like us to donate to by using the tokens and we divided the money up from that.
“This year we’ve given £806 to Hearing Dogs for the Deaf and £405 to Scamps, which is our local charity.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 8 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 9 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
“We’ll start our fundraising again now, and do the same in November.”
Nellie’s has picked its two charities for their next fundraising venture; local charity Sutton Triange Day Care Club, which provides hot meals and support for the elderly in the area, and national charity, Marie Curie.
Nellie’s Community Café opens on the second Wednesday and the last Friday of every month from 10am until 2pm.