Chamber’s launch great for business’
ELY has its own Chamber of Commerce for the first time in its history following its launch last Wednesday. Chief executive of Cambridgeshire Chambers of Commerce, John Bridge OBE, launched the new chamber at the Lamb Hotel in Ely at an informal drop-in se
ELY has its own Chamber of Commerce for the first time in its history following its launch last Wednesday.
Chief executive of Cambridgeshire Chambers of Commerce, John Bridge OBE, launched the new chamber at the Lamb Hotel in Ely at an informal drop-in session attended by more than 65 people.
"It was excellent," Mr Bridge said. "It was very vibrant and there was obviously a great spirit among the businesses of Ely to come together and work towards a common aim."
He said he had been encouraged by the launch event, and that the chamber will play a significant role in the city as it becomes established.
You may also want to watch:
"People feel there is a real need for a conduit for businesses and organisations in the area," he said.
Elaine Griffin-Singh, chairman of the Ely Traders' Association - which first approached the Cambridgeshire chambers about the possibility of an Ely branch - welcomed the launch.
- 1 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 2 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 6 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 7 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 8 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000
- 9 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
"I think it's a really worthwhile thing," she said.
"It will allow local businesses to network and support one another."
She added that the chamber would reinforce the ETA's opposition to the introduction of parking charges in Ely.
"The district council has listened to us as the Ely Traders' Association and we hope that being members of the Ely Chamber of Commerce will lend even more credibility to our argument.