Chamber’s launch great for business’
ELY has its own Chamber of Commerce for the first time in its history following its launch last Wednesday. Chief executive of Cambridgeshire Chambers of Commerce, John Bridge OBE, launched the new chamber at the Lamb Hotel in Ely at an informal drop-in se
ELY has its own Chamber of Commerce for the first time in its history following its launch last Wednesday.
Chief executive of Cambridgeshire Chambers of Commerce, John Bridge OBE, launched the new chamber at the Lamb Hotel in Ely at an informal drop-in session attended by more than 65 people.
"It was excellent," Mr Bridge said. "It was very vibrant and there was obviously a great spirit among the businesses of Ely to come together and work towards a common aim."
He said he had been encouraged by the launch event, and that the chamber will play a significant role in the city as it becomes established.
"People feel there is a real need for a conduit for businesses and organisations in the area," he said.
Elaine Griffin-Singh, chairman of the Ely Traders' Association - which first approached the Cambridgeshire chambers about the possibility of an Ely branch - welcomed the launch.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 3 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 4 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 5 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 6 ‘It’s been like this for 11 months’ - woman’s assisted refuse collection failure
- 7 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
- 8 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 9 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 10 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
"I think it's a really worthwhile thing," she said.
"It will allow local businesses to network and support one another."
She added that the chamber would reinforce the ETA's opposition to the introduction of parking charges in Ely.
"The district council has listened to us as the Ely Traders' Association and we hope that being members of the Ely Chamber of Commerce will lend even more credibility to our argument.