Centenarian Norman not only a founder member of Ely City Golf Club - he helped build it too!
- Credit: Archant
Richard ‘Norman’ Morris celebrated his 100th birthday surrounded by family and friends.
A birthday card from the Queen was presented at a celebration held at Littleport Grange nursing home.
Guests included his 69-year-old daughter, Andi, who, with her husband, had travelled from New Zealand to celebrate the day.
Born in 1914 at Hinton Hall, Haddenham, Norman was the second son of Charles and Olive Morris.
He also has a younger sister, Joan, who is 96-years-old.
Norman was educated at Kings High School, Ely.
As a young man, he represented Ely at football, was a cricketer and an accomplished tennis player, before turning to golf.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 4 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 5 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 8 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 9 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 10 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
Norman farmed for more than 40 years including Glen Nurseries, Wilburton, then at Smithy Fen during the Second World War, where he looked after German prisoners.
In 1947 he acquired Plantation Farm, Stretham, and then added a Waterbeach farm in the 1970s. He passed on the farms to his son Roger in the 1990s.
Roger died unexpectedly in 2004 but his grandsons carried on with the farms.
With his wife Betsy, who died in 1983, the couple set up an over 60s club in Wilburton.
He later married Arlene and moved to Ely where Norman became a founder and life member of Ely City Golf Club.
He helped lay the course using his farm machinery and was both captain and president at different times.
Norman served for many years in local government and is a former chairman of Ely Rural District Council.