Blooming success for Ely as celebrity gardener Diarmuid Gavin will bring Irish charm to Flower Festival
- Credit: Archant
A celebrity gardener will be making a special appearance at Ely Cathedral’s Flower Festival next month.
Diarmuid Gavin will be guest of honour at the Festival’s preview evening on June 20.
Preview ticket holders can enjoy a glass of champagne in the Bishop of Ely’s medieval gardens and get a sneak peek of the floral displays before the event opens to the public the following day.
Ely’s Flower Festival will include more than 50,000 blooms transformed into 100 striking exhibits.
Diarmuid, who is most known for his BBC programme Homefront, said: “A flower festival is the perfect place for me. There are similarities with making a show garden, except with a garden you have a month to build it, these Flower Arrangers produce miraculous creations in a couple of days.”
He will also be attending RHS Chelsea press day to launch the new Ely Cathedral Rose.
The Flower Festival is open to the public from June 21 to 24.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 4 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 5 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 6 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 7 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 8 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 9 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 10 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
Other supporters and sponsors of the event include Cheffins, Cambridge Independent, G’s, McCarthy & Stone and The Old Hall.
For further information visit www.elycathedral.org or call the Box Office on 01353 660349.