Celebrity Chef Drops in at Ely Fish and Chip Shop
IF I was going to have a last meal tomorrow, it would be Petrou Brothers fish and chips. That s the ringing endorsement of celebrity chef Brian Turner, who toiled away at the fryers on Ely Market Place throughout Friday afternoon to formally open the n
IF I was going to have a last meal tomorrow, it would be Petrou Brothers fish and chips."
That's the ringing endorsement of celebrity chef Brian Turner, who toiled away at the fryers on Ely Market Place throughout Friday afternoon to formally open the new fish and chip shop for his good friend Mark Petrou.
Mr Turner, who is famous for both his love of traditional British cuisine and numerous appearances on TV show Ready Steady Cook, told the Ely Standard he would round off the meal with a round of roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, topped off with a piping hot steamed suet dessert.
"The beef dripping Mark uses to fry the fish would go perfectly with roast beef," he added. "People have become very health conscious these days, but without beef dripping fish and chips doesn't taste the same. The new fryers Mark's got slow down fat absorption, so they are nice and crisp on the outside."
You may also want to watch:
"You can't get fish and chips like that in London," he claimed, and pointed out an onlooker from Mark Petrou's sister shop in Chatteris, who couriers fish and chips to Mr Turner's London home on request.
Lunchgoers certainly agreed with the top chef, judging by the queue when the Ely Standard visited. One happy customer went away with two Brian Turner signatures on his fish and chip paper, and a large portion of cod and chips cooked by two award-winning chefs. Not bad for a Friday in Ely.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review