Celebration Of The Founding Of The City Starts With A Procession
ELY will be celebrating the founding of their city next Saturday with a procession from the river to the shrine of St Etheldreda located in the cathedral. In what has now become an annual event, a procession, starting in Jubilee Gardens at 11.30am, w
ELY will be celebrating the founding of their city next Saturday with a procession from the river to the shrine of St Etheldreda located in the cathedral.
In what has now become an annual event, a procession, starting in Jubilee Gardens at 11.30am, with actors playing the different historic roles, and end with Eltheldreda arriving by boat.
"Had it not been for Queen Etheldreda founding her monastery here in 673AD, Ely would probably have remained a fenland village," said Lesley Ann Thompson from Ely Cathedral. But instead, it is a historic city with a magnificent cathedral of world renown. Etheldreda died on June 23rd 679AD but her legacy lives on.
Come and join the mayor of Ely, the Bishop of Ely, town crier and Ely Waits
You may also want to watch:
See Etheldreda arrive by boat with her father, King Anna
Experience her story in drama and music as we make our way up Cherry Hill to the Cathedral
- 1 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 2 A10 speed limit reduced at Waterbeach after death of baby Louis Thorold
- 3 Not breaking news: Vicar has lucky escape, station closes and hotel sold
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 6 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 7 Man jailed for abusive rampage against ex-partner
- 8 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 9 Mayor fumes over ‘amateur’ foster carers claim
- 10 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
See and hear about the miracles which happened on her journey.
Light a candle at Etheldreda's Shrine
Watch the Danes invade and the Normans arrive
Meet Hervey , unpopular first Bishop of Ely
See the Eel Catcher deliver live eels to the present Bishop
Come dressed up in medieval clothes or just enjoy the action
"Etheldreda's story makes for a fun event for all the family, yet it still contains spiritual challenges for us today. It will conclude around 12.40pm in the cathedral. For all who wish to stay, it will be followed immediately by a communion service in the Lady Chapel, added Lesley Ann.
INFO: The event takes place on Saturday, June 20 and starts in Jubilee Gardens at 11.30am.
Pic cap: John Talbot as King Anna (Etheldreda's father) and Clare Huntington (John's granddaughter in real life) who will representing Etheldreda.