Celebrate World Wetlands Day at Wicken Fen
- Credit: Archant
Wicken Fen’s team of rangers will be leading a guided walk of the nature reserve on Sunday, as part of global celebrations to mark World Wetlands Day.
World Wetlands Day marks the signing of the RAMSAR convention in 1971. The international treaty provides a framework for national action and international co-operation for the conservation of wetlands and their resources.
Across the globe, 2,186 wetlands have been designated RAMSAR sites, covering more than 208 million hectares.
The 254 hectare Wicken Fen reserve was designated a Wetland of International Importance in September 1995. The fen is a unique remnant of the Great Fen Basin, which once covered the vast lowlands of Cambridgeshire, Suffolk, Norfolk and Lincolnshire, an area of approximately 3,850 sq km.
Today the vast majority of the land area has been drained for agriculture, with only around 0.1 per cent surviving in its original un-drained state.
You may also want to watch:
Since 1999, the National Trust has created an additional 200 hectares of wetland habitat as part of the Wicken Fen Vision.
Young people visiting Wicken Fen are being encouraged to enter a wetlands youth photo contest, organised by the RAMSAR secretariat.
- 1 'Dedicated' PCSO retires after 12 years amid force funding cuts
- 2 You can now watch Ely Cathedral’s rare Peregrine Falcons live 24/7
- 3 Outcry over new road which will pass through woodland
- 4 Tyler Goodjohn ready to enter lion's den in world title bid
- 5 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 6 Jail for bank card fraudster caught on CCTV
- 7 Letters: How could we afford 120 police officers for boat race?
- 8 Government plans at-home tablet to 'stop the virus in its tracks'
- 9 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 10 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
The competition is open to anyone aged between 15-24 years of age. Photographs need to be taken on a digital camera or phone between February 2 and March 2 and uploaded to the World Wetlands Day website at www.worldwetlandsday.org
The winning photographer will receive a free flight to a famous wetland of their choice, courtesy of Star Alliance Biosphere Connections.
The World Wetlands Day guided walk will start from the Wicken Fen Visitor Centre at 1pm on Sunday. Further information is available on 01353 720274.