Celebrate twinning with a show
SOHAM S 53rd annual Carnival and Heavy Horse Show promises attractions for all ages and a chance to celebrate the official twinning of the town. The twinning ceremony to mark the joining of Soham with Andrezieux-Boutheon in France will be one of the star
SOHAM'S 53rd annual Carnival and Heavy Horse Show promises attractions for all ages and a chance to celebrate the official twinning of the town.
The twinning ceremony to mark the joining of Soham with Andrezieux-Boutheon in France will be one of the star attractions of the event on Bank Holiday Monday, May 29.
Although there is no set theme for the carnival, there will be an Anglo-French feel as the parade winds its way through the streets of Soham.
Floats will begin their journey from Townsend at 1pm entering the Recreation Ground at around 1.30pm for judging.
Prizes and trophies for the best floats will be presented by the mayor of Andrezieux-Boutheon, Jean-Claude Schalk.
Before the arrival of the floats, the Heavy Horse Show will take place on the ground between 9am and 1.30pm.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 4 This Grade II listed Georgian home in Ely could be yours for £575,000
- 5 Replacement home not good enough says council
- 6 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 7 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 8 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 9 Large Hotel of the Year winner is proud of its history
- 10 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
During the afternoon, there will be a flying display by birds of prey, children's sports races, a performance by the Soham Fenlander Majorette Troupe and a live music performance from A4Teen, two rock bands and music from DJs.
There will also be a classic and vintage vehicle show, large assortment of side-shows and stalls, barbecue and refreshments.
The event is being organised by the Soham Benevolent Association and admission costs £3 for adults, £2.50 for OAPs and 50p for children 16 and under.
Businesses are being sought to sponsor the Heavy Horse Show which costs around £2,000 to stage.
Sponsorship could be as little as £100 and businesses will be given the opportunity to place an advertising banner or company logo on the main showground as well as being listed on all the posters and programmes distributed on the day.
Anyone interested should telephone 01353 624493 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with company details and the amount of sponsorship.