Cause for concern over zebra Zuli
A ZEBRA used in the filming of Elizabethan epic The Golden Age at Ely Cathedral is at the centre of an RSPCA investigation into alleged animal abuse. Zuli, pictured, has become the subject of an ongoing enquiry by the organisation following a complaint f
A ZEBRA used in the filming of Elizabethan epic The Golden Age at Ely Cathedral is at the centre of an RSPCA investigation into alleged animal abuse.
Zuli, pictured, has become the subject of an ongoing enquiry by the organisation following a complaint from one of the extras employed by the mammoth production that the animal had been mistreated.
A spokesperson for the RSPCA, said: "We are still looking into a complaint of abuse."
She said there had originally been a complaint about the zebra's makeshift living quarters on the green leading through to The Almonry Restaurant, but officers had visited the animal and found no problems with its living conditions.
You may also want to watch:
An allegation that the zebra had been mistreated followed on Friday, June 2.
"We do not have any physical evidence of abuse and the complaint has come from one witness," the spokesperson said.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
Filming for The Golden Age ended in Ely on Friday, June 2, and saw actors Cate Blanchett and Oscar winner Geoffrey Rush join lighting crews, sound crews and dozens of extras at the cathedral.
The film, the sequel to 1998's Oscar-nominated Elizabeth, is expected to be released next year.