Ely catering duo offer help to widow in moment of need
- Credit: Archant
A kind-hearted catering duo organised the food for the wake of a well-respected Ely lorry driver - 55 years since catering for his wedding.
Yvonne Dockerill and Patricia Canham became lifelong friends of Ray and Mary Neal after catering for their wedding reception and baking a two tier cake at the WI Hall in 1963.
Fifty years later, in 2013, they also planned a celebration for Ray and Mary’s wedding anniversary at Larkfields Community Centre.
When Ray died in July this year, they came to the rescue once again, but this time for a sadder occasion.
Mary said: “Yvonne and Patricia provided our catering for the wake and what was an exceptionally hot day.
You may also want to watch:
“They are true spirits of dedication for mankind and always striving to help.
“They became lifelong friends when they kindly obliged to help out when Ray and I were engaged.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 8 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 9 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 10 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
“Ray’s sister worked at Mrs Saunders in Ely, a private school in Egremont, and said that she knew someone who could help.
“Yvonne made my wedding dress consisting of covered buttons down the back and then the two bridesmaid’s dresses with material from Theobolds in Ely.”
Ray peacefully passed away at the age of 82 peacefully at the Vera James Care Home on July 3.
He loved sharing family holidays in caravans, camping and spending time at the chalet near the coast.
“We did in fact celebrate our Emerald wedding in March by going to Hunstanton,” Mary added.
Yvonne and Patricia also cater with friends for the Heartbeat Funds at Papworth Hospital, where Patricia’s husband was a patient.