Ely catering duo offer help to widow in moment of need
- Credit: Archant
A kind-hearted catering duo organised the food for the wake of a well-respected Ely lorry driver - 55 years since catering for his wedding.
Yvonne Dockerill and Patricia Canham became lifelong friends of Ray and Mary Neal after catering for their wedding reception and baking a two tier cake at the WI Hall in 1963.
Fifty years later, in 2013, they also planned a celebration for Ray and Mary’s wedding anniversary at Larkfields Community Centre.
When Ray died in July this year, they came to the rescue once again, but this time for a sadder occasion.
Mary said: “Yvonne and Patricia provided our catering for the wake and what was an exceptionally hot day.
“They are true spirits of dedication for mankind and always striving to help.
“They became lifelong friends when they kindly obliged to help out when Ray and I were engaged.
- 1 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 2 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 3 Family banned from turning garage into dining room
- 4 Surgery’s renovation project takes next step forward
- 5 Cricket club's bid to be 'loud and proud' thanks to new ground
- 6 'He saved my life' - Karolina thanks optician after spotting unknown brain tumour
- 7 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
- 8 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 9 Alisa, 17, on how refillable candle business went viral in just five months
- 10 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
“Ray’s sister worked at Mrs Saunders in Ely, a private school in Egremont, and said that she knew someone who could help.
“Yvonne made my wedding dress consisting of covered buttons down the back and then the two bridesmaid’s dresses with material from Theobolds in Ely.”
Ray peacefully passed away at the age of 82 peacefully at the Vera James Care Home on July 3.
He loved sharing family holidays in caravans, camping and spending time at the chalet near the coast.
“We did in fact celebrate our Emerald wedding in March by going to Hunstanton,” Mary added.
Yvonne and Patricia also cater with friends for the Heartbeat Funds at Papworth Hospital, where Patricia’s husband was a patient.