Thousands donated to charity from Soham Carnival and Townpersons of the Year revealed
- Credit: Archant
More than £7000 raised from Soham Carnival will go towards helping local schools, charities, clubs and organisations.
The carnival, which took place on May 28, saw thousands of revellers head to the Recreation Ground to enjoy entertainment and watch a parade of decorated floats.
For the past 65 years the carnival has been staged to raise money to go back into the local community.
Their main beneficiaries this year were three primary schools in Soham - St Andrews, The Shade and The Weatheralls - who were presented with £1500 each.
Soham’s Townspersons of the Year, John and Helen Attlesey, were also revealed along with presentations on July 24 at The Ship pub.
Every year John and Helen decorate their house with Christmas lights display while raising money for charity at the same time.
A spokesperson for Soham Carnival said: “It’s truly a magical experience for the children and adults alike of Soham and surrounding areas.
- 1 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 4 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 5 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 6 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 7 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 8 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 9 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 10 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
“Many congratulations and thanks to them we all appreciate their kindness and generosity.”
The remainder of the money was distributed to our other beneficiaries including Soham First Responders, Pos+Ability, Daisy’s cause, Cruse Bereavement Services, Soham Bowls club, VIVA Arts, KD Theatre Productions, Soham North Chapel, Molyn, Soham Day Centre, Soham Comrades Band, Soham Over 60’s, Royal British Legion Soham Branch and Soham Christmas Lights.
The Carnival 2019 is to be held on Monday May 27.
To keep up to date with information, visit the Facebook page at: www.facebook.com/sohamcarnival
If you would like to get involved with the 2019 carnival please email: email@example.com.