Care worker who stole from elderly Soham woman to book a hotel room gets suspended sentence
- Credit: Archant
A care worker stole a 94-year-old woman’s handbag and used her bank cards to buy food, cigarettes and book a hotel room.
Stacey Rowe, 24, used her work key fob to get into the victims home in Lode Close, Soham, on 14 October last year.
Rowe acted as look out while Callum Everett walked into the victim’s flat and took her handbag containing a purse with cash and cards.
The pair went on to use one of the stolen cards to make purchases totalling £168.99.
Rowe, of Foxwood South, Soham, was identified from CCTV footage at the care home and a petrol station where the bank card was used.
She was arrested and charged with burglary and fraud.
Rowe pleaded guilty to both offences at a previous appearance and was sentenced yesterday (9 May) at Peterborough Crown Court to 21 months, suspended for 24 months, for each offence, to run concurrent, and was ordered to complete 150 hours’ unpaid work and to take part in rehabilitation activity.
- 1 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 2 Warwick Davis and daughter Annabelle cut the ribbon at special opening
- 3 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 4 Have your say on proposed commercial development in Ely
- 5 Casualty treated for smoke inhalation following house fire
- 6 Retiring café owner desperate not to see shop 'back at square one'
- 7 Cambridgeshire man kicked and headbutted police officers
- 8 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 9 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 10 Caravan site wants 10 new lodges to cope with demand
Detective Constable Mark Beaven said: “Rowe was in a position of trust but abused that trust to gain entry into the victim’s home in order to steal from her.
“Tackling burglary is a force priority and we will do all we can to bring offenders to justice.”
Everett was sentenced to 18 months in a youth offender institute last November.