Care Home Plan For Former Hotel In Soham
AMBITIOUS plans to transform the old Soham By-pass Motel into a state-of-the-art care centre have been submitted to East Cambridgeshire District Council. The application, submitted by Eastcliff Developments on behalf of site owner David Lidford, outlined
AMBITIOUS plans to transform the old Soham By-pass Motel into a state-of-the-art care centre have been submitted to East Cambridgeshire District Council.
The application, submitted by Eastcliff Developments on behalf of site owner David Lidford, outlined plans for a new 50-bedroom centre providing care for elderly residents and those suffering from Alzheimer's and dementia.
If approved the centre would be the Town's first dedicated care facility and would help bolster the new Soham Vision Masterplan, providing up to 80 jobs for local people including positions as carers, cooks, nurses and cleaners.
The former By-Pass Motel, built adjacent to Qua Fen Common, was forced to shut its doors in March 2008 after a slump in business, and the site has since become a nuisance for local residents with anti-social behaviour and illegal traveller pitches regularly appearing on site.
You may also want to watch:
Under the new plans the site would be transformed into a purpose built centre boasting large day rooms, gardens and therapy rooms with many of the 50 proposed bedrooms providing en-suite wet rooms and disabled facilities. A decision on the plans is expected in early January.
Consultation on the plans is ongoing with residents being given until November 9 to submit their comments. Visit www.eastcambs.gov.uk for more details.
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 3 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 4 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 5 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 6 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 7 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 8 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 9 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 10 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs