Car parks’ mark of safety
ELY S city centre car parks have been recognised for their high standards and retained their Park Mark status for another year. The Safer Parking Award Scheme, Park Mark recognises measures put in place to deter criminals and those carrying out anti-socia
ELY'S city centre car parks have been recognised for their high standards and retained their Park Mark status for another year.
The Safer Parking Award Scheme, Park Mark recognises measures put in place to deter criminals and those carrying out anti-social behaviour.
The six car parks which keep their award are Barton Road, Brays Lane, Forehill, Newnham Street, Ship Lane and St Mary's Street.
East Cambridgeshire District Council town centre team leader, Alison Callaby, said: "It is estimated that vehicle crime accounts for up to 20 per cent of all crime, so we must do all we can to ensure the car parks we run are safe for their users. It is important that we retain the Park Mark status for our facilities and we will work hard to ensure we keep up these standards throughout the year."
Ely police inspector Adam Gallop said: "In recent years reports of theft from car parks in Ely have remained very low. We must not be complacent and I would repeat the same basic advice which is that valuables must be kept out of view.
"We do, at times, suffer from anti-social behaviour and vehicle nuisance in car parks, particularly during the evenings, and so they continue to have regular checks from officers."
- 1 'He saved my life' - Karolina thanks optician after spotting unknown brain tumour
- 2 Baby murder trial hears mother joked tot self-harmed
- 3 Knife attack man hid over £3,500 of drugs at mum's home
- 4 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
- 5 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 6 Seven places where £4.9m road maintenance has been approved
- 7 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 8 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 9 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 10 Man caught red-handed after series of drug raids
The Safer Parking Award Scheme Park Mark is an initiative of the Association of Chief Police Officers aimed at reducing crime and the fear of crime in parking areas.