Car parks’ mark of safety
ELY S city centre car parks have been recognised for their high standards and retained their Park Mark status for another year. The Safer Parking Award Scheme, Park Mark recognises measures put in place to deter criminals and those carrying out anti-socia
ELY'S city centre car parks have been recognised for their high standards and retained their Park Mark status for another year.
The Safer Parking Award Scheme, Park Mark recognises measures put in place to deter criminals and those carrying out anti-social behaviour.
The six car parks which keep their award are Barton Road, Brays Lane, Forehill, Newnham Street, Ship Lane and St Mary's Street.
East Cambridgeshire District Council town centre team leader, Alison Callaby, said: "It is estimated that vehicle crime accounts for up to 20 per cent of all crime, so we must do all we can to ensure the car parks we run are safe for their users. It is important that we retain the Park Mark status for our facilities and we will work hard to ensure we keep up these standards throughout the year."
You may also want to watch:
Ely police inspector Adam Gallop said: "In recent years reports of theft from car parks in Ely have remained very low. We must not be complacent and I would repeat the same basic advice which is that valuables must be kept out of view.
"We do, at times, suffer from anti-social behaviour and vehicle nuisance in car parks, particularly during the evenings, and so they continue to have regular checks from officers."
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 8 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 9 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
The Safer Parking Award Scheme Park Mark is an initiative of the Association of Chief Police Officers aimed at reducing crime and the fear of crime in parking areas.