Car parks’ mark of safety
ELY S city centre car parks have been recognised for their high standards and retained their Park Mark status for another year. The Safer Parking Award Scheme, Park Mark recognises measures put in place to deter criminals and those carrying out anti-socia
ELY'S city centre car parks have been recognised for their high standards and retained their Park Mark status for another year.
The Safer Parking Award Scheme, Park Mark recognises measures put in place to deter criminals and those carrying out anti-social behaviour.
The six car parks which keep their award are Barton Road, Brays Lane, Forehill, Newnham Street, Ship Lane and St Mary's Street.
East Cambridgeshire District Council town centre team leader, Alison Callaby, said: "It is estimated that vehicle crime accounts for up to 20 per cent of all crime, so we must do all we can to ensure the car parks we run are safe for their users. It is important that we retain the Park Mark status for our facilities and we will work hard to ensure we keep up these standards throughout the year."
Ely police inspector Adam Gallop said: "In recent years reports of theft from car parks in Ely have remained very low. We must not be complacent and I would repeat the same basic advice which is that valuables must be kept out of view.
"We do, at times, suffer from anti-social behaviour and vehicle nuisance in car parks, particularly during the evenings, and so they continue to have regular checks from officers."
- 1 Cambridgeshire man kicked and headbutted police officers
- 2 Casualty treated for smoke inhalation following house fire
- 3 Have your say on proposed commercial development in Ely
- 4 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 5 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 6 Headteacher ‘extremely proud’ after school receives games mark award
- 7 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
- 8 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 9 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 10 Vehicle fire caused heavy traffic on A14
The Safer Parking Award Scheme Park Mark is an initiative of the Association of Chief Police Officers aimed at reducing crime and the fear of crime in parking areas.