Car lovers arrange a legal meet after police stop their ‘end of summer gathering’ in Ely
- Credit: Archant
A legal meet is being planned for a group of petrol heads whose end of summer get together was thwarted when police closed the car park where they were due to gather.
East Cambs Modified, a group of car lovers from across the district, plan to hold the legal meeting on the afternoon of Sunday October 15 at a location yet to be announced.
“Bikes, cars, trucks, 4x4s, if its got wheels we want it. The more variety the better,” says a post on their Facebook page, which is inviting anybody interested in vehicles to come along to the October gathering.
“The usual rules apply. Purely static, no messing about, this includes such things as wheel spinning, drifting, racing etc.
“Location may change nearer the time to a larger location. Don’t forget to share and tell your friends.”
You may also want to watch:
The original end of summer meeting was planned for September 10 but was cancelled when East Cambs Police kept Angel Drove car park shut all weekend to make sure it did not go ahead.
A spokesman for the group said: “The police have done everything in their power to make sure this doesn’t happen so this has now been changed to a legal locations.
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
“As the days are getting shorter and shorter we are changing it to a Sunday afternoon event.”
“The police really do not want this meet to happen and have put out a dispersal order in Ely to stop this.
“Please keep an eye on our page for any updates on this in the forthcoming weeks. It’s going to be bigger and better!!“We still can not understand why the police would want to stop such a great way of gathering together that all enjoy the same thing. And just want to meet up and enjoy each other’s cars.”
Police urged people to not attend the East Cambs Modified End of Summer Meet in Ely on Saturday (10) on the Policing East Cambs Facebook page.
A dispersal order was in force for the weekend.
A police spokesman said the car park was closed to prevent the modified car meet taking place and was shut from Saturday evening until Sunday morning.
“The action follows previous complaints and reports of anti-social behaviour,” the spokesman said.