Car damaged after rock hurled into traffic on A142
- Credit: Archant
A car travelling on the A142 near Sutton was damaged after being struck by a rock thrown deliberately from the roadside.
The car was being driven along Mepal Road at about 10.15pm on Sunday when a rock thrown from the roadside smashed into its side, causing damage to the passenger door.
In a post on Twitter, the driver of the car, from Sutton, said he was first aware of the incident when he “heard a loud bang”.
The motorist said he believes a rock was thrown from a copse of trees beside the busy main road.
He said: “The damage on the car looks like it could cause a serious injury if it actually hit someone rather than a car.”
You may also want to watch:
The motorist said he contacted police after discovering the damage to his car.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire police said: “Police were called on Monday with reports of an object being thrown at a vehicle on the A142 near Sutton the previous evening.
- 1 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 2 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 3 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 4 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 5 Amazing escape for driver in A11 crash
- 6 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 7 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 8 Mayor's ‘hop-on hop-off' public travel revolution
- 9 Author opens school’s new library
- 10 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
“A member of the public reported hearing something hit their car at roughly 10.15pm when no other vehicles were on the road. On later inspection minor damage was caused.”
Anyone with information about the incident should contact Cambridgeshire police on 101.