AN amnesty is being launched today (Thursday) to deal with abandoned and unwanted cars. East Cambridgeshire Environmental Health Services and Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service have joined forces and will dispose of derelict cars and caravans or any
AN amnesty is being launched today (Thursday) to deal with abandoned and unwanted cars.
East Cambridgeshire Environmental Health Services and Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service have joined forces and will dispose of derelict cars and caravans or any other unwanted vehicles free of charge.
East Cambridgeshire District Council's Environmental health officer Julia Atkins said: "It would normally cost an owner up to £100 to have a dilapidated vehicle removed for proper disposal. We are offering a free spring clean for cars.
People can call us up and we'll come and take away for free any vehicle eyesore that perhaps someone hasn't been able to afford to have removed."
You may also want to watch:
The scheme is available to residents anywhere in East Cambridgeshire. Owners will need to be able to produce the car's log book and proof of ownership upon collection.
Ms Atkins said: "The amnesty has been set up to get rid of the eyesore these abandoned or unwanted vehicles cause in so many communities, and to remove the potential hazards they pose as targets for torching by irresponsible people."
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 10 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
INFO: If you want to arrange for a vehicle to be removed, call 01353 616286 and quote "vehicle amnesty".