Cannabis User Stole Money From Dad's Bank Account To Settle Drug Debt
CANNABIS user Ben Lane fraudulently withdrew �400 from his father s bank account so he could pay off his drugs dealer. And his father was able to watch CCTV of the illegal transaction taking place at cash machine when the fraud came to light. I took the
CANNABIS user Ben Lane fraudulently withdrew �400 from his father's bank account so he could pay off his drugs dealer.
And his father was able to watch CCTV of the illegal transaction taking place at cash machine when the fraud came to light.
"I took the money because I have a bad drug habit with cannabis, and I had to pay off my debt," Lane told Ely magistrates. "I know I should not have done it."
He admitted fraudulently using his father's bank card to withdraw �200 on May 19 and asked for two further transactions, withdrawing �150 and �50, to be taken into consideration.
Lane's father Richard had checked his bank account on May 20 and realised there was money missing, said Laura Mardell, prosecuting.
"He contacted the bank. They said the withdrawals were made using his bank card and PIN number. Mr Lane saw CCTV taken at the bank and identified his son carrying out the transaction.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 3 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 4 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 5 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
- 6 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 7 ‘It’s been like this for 11 months’ - woman’s assisted refuse collection failure
- 8 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 9 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Efforts of Cambridgeshire’s Covid community champions recognised in Parliament
Lane, 26, of Martin Road, Burwell, was ordered to pay �400 compensation to his father, carry out 150 hours of unpaid work, and pay �60 court costs.