Candidates for forthcoming Sutton by-election are revealed
- Credit: Archant
Four candidates have put themselves forward to contest the Sutton by-election.
Triggered by the resignation of the former leader of East Cambridgeshire District Council, Peter Moakes, last month, the by-election is set to take place on April 24.
As expected, the big three Westminster parties have put forward candidates and they will be joined on the ballot paper by a UKIP candidate.
Cllr Daniel Divine, who represents Littleport at Cambridgeshire County Council, has been put forward by the anti-EU party to contest the Sutton seat.
Cllr Divine will be hoping to capitalise on a rocky period for the Conservative group in the village, which, as well as the loss of Mr Moakes, has also seen the resignation from the group of Cllr Philip Read – who will now stand as an independent.
You may also want to watch:
Representing the Tories at the by-election will be Neil Hitchin, from Ely, who is a historian and architectural conservationist.
The Liberal Democrats will, once again, be represented by Lorna Dupre, who lives in High Street, Sutton, and is a veteran of several campaigns in the village.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 4 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 5 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 6 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 7 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 8 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 9 Ely man caught after nine months on the run from Suffolk prison
- 10 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
She was the Liberal Democrat parliamentary candidate in 2010, achieving second place behind Steve Barclay, and was also runner-up in the Cambridgeshire County Council election for Sutton in May 2013, won by Cllr Phil Read.
The Labour party has put forward Jane Frances for the election. Jane also stood for the party in the Ely east by-election which took place in September last year.