Cambs Fire issue safety warning after discarded cigarette causes fire at house in Ely - which did not have any smoke alarms

PUBLISHED: 14:49 20 March 2017 | UPDATED: 14:49 20 March 2017

Cambs Fire issue safety warning after discarded cigarette causes fire at house in Ely - which did not have any smoke alarms

Cambs Fire issue safety warning after discarded cigarette causes fire at house in Ely - which did not have any smoke alarms

Archant

A woman was left needing medical treatment after a discarded cigarette caused a fire at her house in St Ovins Green, Ely - which did not have any smoke alarms.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel and covering jet to extinguish the fire and dampen down the surrounding area on Friday March 17.

Watch commander Jim Sharp said: “It is important to reiterate not to smoke in bed and to make sure you have working smoke alarms in your property.”

“Cigarettes can easily start an accidental fire as tobacco is designed to stay alight so it is important that smokers check a cigarette is properly out when stubbed out in an ashtray.”

A Cambs Fire spokesman said: “A female casualty was treated by ambulance staff at the scene for smoke inhalation.

“The cause of the fire was accidental by smoking materials.”

“Crews from Ely and Soham were called to the blaze at 5.09pm and returned to their stations by 10.21pm.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ely Standard. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ely Standard