Cambs Fire issue safety warning after discarded cigarette causes fire at house in Ely - which did not have any smoke alarms
- Credit: Archant
A woman was left needing medical treatment after a discarded cigarette caused a fire at her house in St Ovins Green, Ely - which did not have any smoke alarms.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel and covering jet to extinguish the fire and dampen down the surrounding area on Friday March 17.
Watch commander Jim Sharp said: “It is important to reiterate not to smoke in bed and to make sure you have working smoke alarms in your property.”
“Cigarettes can easily start an accidental fire as tobacco is designed to stay alight so it is important that smokers check a cigarette is properly out when stubbed out in an ashtray.”
A Cambs Fire spokesman said: “A female casualty was treated by ambulance staff at the scene for smoke inhalation.
You may also want to watch:
“The cause of the fire was accidental by smoking materials.”
“Crews from Ely and Soham were called to the blaze at 5.09pm and returned to their stations by 10.21pm.”
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 9 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor