Sign up early - santa, elves and snowmen expected to join Ely 5K festive fun run
- Credit: Archant
Fun runners are being encouraged to sign up early for the Ely festive 5K charity event.
The run sold out almost a month ahead last year, organisers said, so to avoid disappointment sign up now to support the Arthur Rank Hospice Charity on Sunday November 26.
Tasha Hills, senior events and marketing officer, who has been involved with the event since it began, said: “Ely Festive 5K returns for another year, and has seen a flurry of registrations since it’s launch a few days ago.
“This event is a highlight in our calendar and we can’t wait to see the outfits we’ve heard about come to life, with promises of snow men, elves, and the classic Christmas onesie.
“The popularity of the event grows every year, with teams committing to joining forces in the hope they will win the fastest team entry.
“We are urging those who want to take part, to sign up soon to avoid disappointment.
“The community’s support is essential. We would be delighted to hear from local businesses and organisations willing to lend their help and maybe even volunteers to help marshal the run.”
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 4 Replacement home not good enough says council
- 5 This Grade II listed Georgian home in Ely could be yours for £575,000
- 6 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 7 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 8 Large Hotel of the Year winner is proud of its history
- 9 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 10 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
Last year, the run, sponsored by Ward Gethin Archer and the Cambridge Building Society, sold out almost a month ahead of the big day, preventing the charity from being able to accommodate pay on the day places.
The run has a reputation for bringing Christmas cheer to the city from 11am.
The full route for the 2017 fancy dress fun run will include partial road closures as it winds around historic streets, the Cathedral and riverside.
More than £63,000 has been raised by Ely Festive 5k since it first started in 2010.
To take part in the family and pushchair-friendly event costs £12.50 for adults and £8 for children under 16.
There will be Santa hats and medals. Prizes will be awarded for fastest male and female runner, fastest boy and girl, fastest team and best fancy dress.
• Sign up at www.arhc.org.uk/Ef5k-register.asp. For a postal registration form call 01223 675888. Registration closes on reaching 650 entrants or at 1pm on Friday 24 November.