Cambridge city councillor Rod Cantrill - and pro Remainer- picked by Lib Dems to contest election for £70,000 mayor role
- Credit: Archant
Lib Dems selected a pro Remain candidate to fight the May election for the newly created £70,000 role as mayor of Cambridgeshire.
Cambridge City councillor Rod Cantrill was selected in a ballot of all members of the Liberal Democrats living in the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough areas.
Cllr Cantrill, who has lived in Cambridgeshire for over 30 years, has a background in finance. He has run his own financial consulting business since 2003 and was first elected as a city councillor in 2004.
In June’s EU referendum he was a key figure in a leading local cross-party Remain campaign working with Labour, Conservative and Green campaigners to fight for what he believed was best for our county and our country.
He said: “Our area has many opportunities for growth that I am eager to exploit going forward.
You may also want to watch:
“In parallel, it faces its fair share of challenges over the next few years; be it the dangers of a hard Brexit, government cuts or a lack of much-needed infrastructure.
“I believe I can use my knowledge and experience to work with residents, business leaders and politicians to move our county forward for the benefit of all.
- 1 Town considers home for market
- 2 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 3 Covid-19 job loss prompts Martin to launch out on his own
- 4 Plea to council to halt £6.5m crematorium plan
- 5 Sutton couple mark seven decades of marriage
- 6 Village housing in disarray after all the trustees quit
- 7 ‘Tired and dated’ road can only get better with our 40 new homes, say builders
- 8 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos
- 9 Watch the moment E-scooter rider, 16, narrowly misses crashing into bus
- 10 Derby win gets Ely City back on track after eight-goal thriller
He added: “Like so many people I think it’s time to change how politics is done here in Cambridgeshire. The City Deal project in the south of the county shows what a disaster devolution can be when politicians push their pet projects and fail to listen to residents.
“That’s why both as a candidate and the mayor I will make listening to residents in every corner of the county my absolute priority. It’s essential we spread wealth across the whole area and ensure everyone prospers from its economic success and growth.”