Call for raft racers goes out as countdown to Aquafest begins
- Credit: Archant
The countdown to this year’s Aquafest is now on and organisers are appealing for aspiring raft racers to sign up.
For the last 36 years, the River Great Ouse in Ely has played host to the Aquafest’s showpiece raft race, with every year bringing an eclectic mix of novelty craft and professional paddlers.
This year, both of Ely’s Rotary clubs, who organise the event, are giving aspiring competitors the chance to test out their crafts ahead of the race at a specially organised practice event, at Mepal Outdoor Centre.
On June 22, teams will be given access to the centre’s boating lake, allowing them to put their creations to the test, whilst also checking out the competition.
The big race itself will take place at Aquafest on Sunday, July 6.
You may also want to watch:
Rotarian Phil Smith, said: “Anyone who wants to bring their raft down to the centre is welcome. While there are so many good rafts made, some arrive on the day without their craft ever having seen water and this is a good opportunity for teams to test theirs out.”
Places are still available to take part in the raft race, if you would like to sign up contact Rotarian Viv Doji on 07984323695 or e-mail email@example.com
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 5 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 6 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 7 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 8 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 9 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 10 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack