Call for competitors to take part in new Ely race to celebrate the humble spud
AN Ely potato producer is looking to put a little fun into this year’s harvest by launching a new potato race.
Isle of Ely Produce, based at Littleport, and the Nation Farmers’ Union (NFU) are gearing up for the relay race to celebrate the start of the harvest festival.
The event will see teams race from the farmers’ market in Market Place, Ely, to the bottom of the High Street near the cathedral, with each competitor required to run the race with a bag of potatoes on his or her back for the duration of the course.
Isle of Ely holds a similar event in the streets of Flitton, Bedfordshire, where it also has a base, and the race has been taking place there for more than 100 years.
Isle of Ely director Oliver Boutwood said “We have strong links with the great potato race in Flitton and to replicate that in some way at Ely would be fantastic, we will be urging our local farmers and companies to join in.
You may also want to watch:
“We are looking for local farmers and suppliers to join in with a team of three for the event, with a cup for the first team home. There’s a small entry fee for each team which will be donated to charity.”
If you are interested in entering the inaugral Ely Potato Race, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. The race will take place at about 11am on Saturday, October 13.
- 1 Punch in face leaves man with fractured nose
- 2 Defeated Tory hits out at ‘toxic brand’ and says ‘James Palmer had it coming’
- 3 Boy, 14, to wear electronic tag and obey curfew after admitting harassment
- 4 Letters: No praise for Palmer, litter picker success and neglected roads
- 5 iPads and laptops stolen in school break-in
- 6 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 7 Firefighters tackle deliberate barn blaze for more than four hours
- 8 Have your say on Network Rail increasing rail capacity through Ely
- 9 Family 'thrilled' as pair's lockdown locks raise charity cash
- 10 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride