Call for competitors to take part in new Ely race to celebrate the humble spud
AN Ely potato producer is looking to put a little fun into this year’s harvest by launching a new potato race.
Isle of Ely Produce, based at Littleport, and the Nation Farmers’ Union (NFU) are gearing up for the relay race to celebrate the start of the harvest festival.
The event will see teams race from the farmers’ market in Market Place, Ely, to the bottom of the High Street near the cathedral, with each competitor required to run the race with a bag of potatoes on his or her back for the duration of the course.
Isle of Ely holds a similar event in the streets of Flitton, Bedfordshire, where it also has a base, and the race has been taking place there for more than 100 years.
Isle of Ely director Oliver Boutwood said “We have strong links with the great potato race in Flitton and to replicate that in some way at Ely would be fantastic, we will be urging our local farmers and companies to join in.
You may also want to watch:
“We are looking for local farmers and suppliers to join in with a team of three for the event, with a cup for the first team home. There’s a small entry fee for each team which will be donated to charity.”
If you are interested in entering the inaugral Ely Potato Race, please email email@example.com. The race will take place at about 11am on Saturday, October 13.
- 1 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 4 Policing stepped up to tackle criminal damage and anti-social behaviour
- 5 Son's touching tribute: 'My father fought with passion for that in which he believed'
- 6 Man named following fatal collision
- 7 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 8 Councillor Bill, 75, says Covid-19 jab was 'perfect'
- 9 Skipper eyes plans to go one better for village cricketers
- 10 Green light for off-licence despite objections