Cadet from USA reunites with Ely school pal on whistle-stop visit to the city
- Credit: Archant
It was a happy 4th of July in Ely as two old school pals who are now cadets – one from the USA - reunited in the city.
Cadet staff sergeant Jackson Wynn was visiting the UK and stopped off to visit the Ely Squadron.
While there he met with lifelong friend and former school friend cadet flight sergeant Rory Donoghue.
Jackson and Rory first met each other in nursery school when Jackson's father - a USAF SNCO - was posted to the UK.
The two boys became firm friends and progressed through preparatory school together.
You may also want to watch:
Both boys developed their love of competitive sports while at prep school and they and their school teams went on to dominate the local independent school's rugby, football and athletics competitions.
Continuing along that theme, last weekend flight sergeant Donoghue was honoured to be judged as the Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire Wing Sportsman of the Year for the second year running.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 10 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
He received his trophy at the Wing Review at RAF Wyton.
Jackson is now back in Missouri USA and as a senior NCO in his High School JROTC he hopes to join the US Air Force, following in his fathers footsteps.