Cadet from USA reunites with Ely school pal on whistle-stop visit to the city
- Credit: Archant
It was a happy 4th of July in Ely as two old school pals who are now cadets – one from the USA - reunited in the city.
Cadet staff sergeant Jackson Wynn was visiting the UK and stopped off to visit the Ely Squadron.
While there he met with lifelong friend and former school friend cadet flight sergeant Rory Donoghue.
Jackson and Rory first met each other in nursery school when Jackson's father - a USAF SNCO - was posted to the UK.
The two boys became firm friends and progressed through preparatory school together.
Both boys developed their love of competitive sports while at prep school and they and their school teams went on to dominate the local independent school's rugby, football and athletics competitions.
Continuing along that theme, last weekend flight sergeant Donoghue was honoured to be judged as the Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire Wing Sportsman of the Year for the second year running.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 6 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 7 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 8 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 9 Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 10 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
He received his trophy at the Wing Review at RAF Wyton.
Jackson is now back in Missouri USA and as a senior NCO in his High School JROTC he hopes to join the US Air Force, following in his fathers footsteps.