By-election called after former mayor steps down from East Cambs District Council
- Credit: Archant
A BY-ELECTION has been called for the Ely East seat on East Cambridgeshire District Council.
The election was called following the resignation of Conservative Councillor Will Burton from the district council, who is relocating to Lincolnshire.
Councillor Burton was elected to the district council in 2011 and has also served as a City of Ely councillor since 2007. He served as mayor of the city last year, helping secure the successful handover of the city’s magistrates’ court and Maltings Cottage.
If the election is contested, the poll will take place on Thursday, September 5, between the hours of 7am and 10pm.
Potential candidates can now collect their official nomination papers from the
electoral services offices at East Cambridgeshire District Council, to put themselves forward. The deadline for completed nomination papers is noon on August 8.
Should anyone have any questions or queries, contact the electoral services team on 01353 665555.
- 1 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 2 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 3 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 4 A10 dualling facing new challenges
- 5 Christmas at Wimpole illuminated trail sparks into life as countdown begins
- 6 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 7 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 8 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 9 LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: You have your say
- 10 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash