The apprentice returns
AN Ely mechanic will return to his roots on Friday when he takes over as owner of the same garage at which he served his apprenticeship. David Barnes, 33, will take over St Peter s Garage in Castlehythe 17 years after he started as an apprentice under cu
AN Ely mechanic will return to his roots on Friday when he takes over as owner of the same garage at which he served his apprenticeship.
David Barnes, 33, will take over St Peter's Garage in Castlehythe 17 years after he started as an apprentice under current owner Ferrel Howe.
Mr Barnes's wife Marie said her husband is looking forward to returning to the garage.
"His apprenticeship is a time he looks back on," she said.
"It gave him a lot of knowledge and he has a lot of respect for Mr Howe - he got a lot of in-depth training and he was taught that you do the job thoroughly or not at all."
Mr Barnes left St Peter's Garage in 1996 to set up his own business, which would later become David's Motor Repairs at The Dock Business Park in Ely, but kept in touch with Mr Howe.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 4 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 5 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 6 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 7 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 8 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 9 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 10 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
Mrs Barnes said: "Ferrel spent years building up the business and he knows my husband will continue St Peter's good name."
INFO: Mr Barnes will continue to operate both businesses, which are available on the same numbers, 01353 662247 or 01353 668533.