The apprentice returns
AN Ely mechanic will return to his roots on Friday when he takes over as owner of the same garage at which he served his apprenticeship. David Barnes, 33, will take over St Peter s Garage in Castlehythe 17 years after he started as an apprentice under cu
AN Ely mechanic will return to his roots on Friday when he takes over as owner of the same garage at which he served his apprenticeship.
David Barnes, 33, will take over St Peter's Garage in Castlehythe 17 years after he started as an apprentice under current owner Ferrel Howe.
Mr Barnes's wife Marie said her husband is looking forward to returning to the garage.
"His apprenticeship is a time he looks back on," she said.
You may also want to watch:
"It gave him a lot of knowledge and he has a lot of respect for Mr Howe - he got a lot of in-depth training and he was taught that you do the job thoroughly or not at all."
Mr Barnes left St Peter's Garage in 1996 to set up his own business, which would later become David's Motor Repairs at The Dock Business Park in Ely, but kept in touch with Mr Howe.
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 3 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 4 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 5 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 6 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 7 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 8 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 9 Superb acting, singing and dancing at KD Theatre musical
- 10 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
Mrs Barnes said: "Ferrel spent years building up the business and he knows my husband will continue St Peter's good name."
INFO: Mr Barnes will continue to operate both businesses, which are available on the same numbers, 01353 662247 or 01353 668533.