The apprentice returns
AN Ely mechanic will return to his roots on Friday when he takes over as owner of the same garage at which he served his apprenticeship. David Barnes, 33, will take over St Peter s Garage in Castlehythe 17 years after he started as an apprentice under cu
AN Ely mechanic will return to his roots on Friday when he takes over as owner of the same garage at which he served his apprenticeship.
David Barnes, 33, will take over St Peter's Garage in Castlehythe 17 years after he started as an apprentice under current owner Ferrel Howe.
Mr Barnes's wife Marie said her husband is looking forward to returning to the garage.
"His apprenticeship is a time he looks back on," she said.
"It gave him a lot of knowledge and he has a lot of respect for Mr Howe - he got a lot of in-depth training and he was taught that you do the job thoroughly or not at all."
Mr Barnes left St Peter's Garage in 1996 to set up his own business, which would later become David's Motor Repairs at The Dock Business Park in Ely, but kept in touch with Mr Howe.
- 1 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 2 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 3 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 4 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 5 Nuisance caller flouted court order day after prison release
- 6 Magpas Air Ambulance doctor, Anne, shortlisted for national award
- 7 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 8 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 9 Arts centre gets £25,000 post-Covid lifeline
- 10 Everything you need to know about Ely Cathedral's Christmas Gift & Food Fair 2021
Mrs Barnes said: "Ferrel spent years building up the business and he knows my husband will continue St Peter's good name."
INFO: Mr Barnes will continue to operate both businesses, which are available on the same numbers, 01353 662247 or 01353 668533.