Takeaway plans for Ely cafe are withdrawn
- Credit: Archant
PLANS to convert a popular café in Ely into a hot food takeaway have been withdrawn amid concerns about damage to the character of the area.
JM Watson, the owner of Tea for Two, in Buttermarket, was in search of a new tenant for the business and applied to East Cambridgeshire District Council back in May for a change of use to make the premises more attractive to potential tenants.
The café is split over three floors, with seating for 15 people inside the building and more outside and has been open for business for more than 15 years. It employs two full-time and five part-time staff.
According to the plans, the owner was approached with a number of offers in recent months to take over the premises and run it as a takeaway.
Mr Watson’s plans were met with concern from public bodies however, with the City of Ely Council saying: “The council felt the historic look of this building needed to be maintained. We have concerns regarding the possible litter problems that could be caused by this premises being a takeaway.
“We were also concerned about the parking implications this takeaway could have on the area.”
The Ely Society added: “We consider that a hot food takeaway will increase vehicular congestion due to the lack of adjacent parking facilities for customers.”
- 1 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 2 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 3 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 4 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 5 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 6 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 7 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 8 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 9 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 10 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
The application was subsequently withdrawn.