Soham retailer’s “concern” after supermarket approval
- Credit: Archant
SOHAM retailer Jonathan James says he has “significant concerns” over East Cambridgeshire District Council’s decision to approve a new 41,000sq ft supermarket for the town.
Councillors on the planning committee voted unanimously to approve plans for the store, despite the recommendation from council officers that the development should be thrown out.
There has still been no announcement from Harrier Developments, the firm behind the plans, as to which retailer is set to move into The Shade side.
Speaking to Convenience Store, a specialist trade magazine, Mr James said: “We have to acknowledge the decision, but I have significant concerns over planning policies being ignored and the fact that despite having a Retail Impact Assessment from an independent expert warning of the impact on the town centre, the members still approved it.”
Both council officers and an independently appointed consultant said that there were more suitable sites within the town and said any development at The Shade could harm the viability of shops in the town centre.
You may also want to watch:
Mr James had also announced in the run-up to the meeting that he had received offers from two major retailers stating that they would buy his town centre Budgens outlet on the condition that councillors rejected The Shade proposal.
The councillors were unmoved at the meeting however, and voted overwhelmingly to approve the Harrier proposal.
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 3 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 4 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 5 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 6 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 7 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 8 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 9 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 10 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online