Revamp proposed for former gift shop in Ely
- Credit: Archant
A former music and gift shop is to get a facelift under plans submitted to East Cambridgeshire District Council this week.
57-59 Market Street, in Ely, has been taken on by Labour Tech Recruitment and the company hopes to give the 1960s-style building a more modern look.
The business has submitted plans to revamp and extend the two-storey building, re-designing the front with timber and aluminium while expanding and re-ordering the layout internally to allow for more office space.
Architects told the council: “The property is located in Ely conservation area and within close proximity to listed buildings. For that reason, the proposal is designed to take to enhance the character and appearance of the area.
“There are two main elements influencing the new appearance of the building. The roof extension and elevation alteration are contemporary in design and are suitable and honest to the style of the existing building.
“Simple architectural detailing is proposed to form clean lines. The front elevation is contemporary in design and draws inspiration from the iconic medieval architecture of Ely Cathedral.”
A decision on the plans is expected within the next eight weeks. To view the plans, or to have a say, visit www.eastcambs.gov.uk
- 1 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 2 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 3 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 4 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 5 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 6 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 7 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 8 GP surgery 'failing' us says Labour
- 9 Firm announces acquisition of independent planning firm
- 10 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives