Plenty to ‘snout’ about for award-winning Ely butcher
- Credit: Archant
Edis of Ely scooped almost 20 awards for its piggy products at the East Midlands Pork Products Excellence Awards held earlier this month.
The event saw 341 products from more than 50 butchers put before the judges in Newark, Nottinghamshire, all vying to be crowned overall champion.
That title was taken by Lincolnshire’s Lakings but High Street butcher Edis came away with a hatful of awards for its efforts, including seven gold medals.
Owner Andrew Edis’s pork and apple burger, smoked gammon steak, chilli Scotch egg, breakfast Scotch egg, thin crust pork pie and farmhouse pasty all came away with top awards.
Edis also picked up nine silver awards and three bronze awards.
You may also want to watch:
Claire Holland, of award organisers BPEX, said: “We were delighted to see such a great turnout from butchers in the region - 341 entries from 51 butchers is a great result for the East Midlands roadshow.
“And the standards did not disappoint, which made judging incredibly hard. Over a third of the products entered achieved a gold award – scoring 95-100 points out of 100. That’s a real testament to the quality of the products being produced by butchers and farm shops in the East Midlands.”
- 1 'Dedicated' PCSO retires after 12 years amid force funding cuts
- 2 Jail for bank card fraudster caught on CCTV
- 3 Prosecution threat against businesses found not to be Covid-19 secure
- 4 You can now watch Ely Cathedral’s rare Peregrine Falcons live 24/7
- 5 Man who died in road crash is named
- 6 Woman to travel 100km in her wheelchair to fundraise for autism charity
- 7 Outcry over new road which will pass through woodland
- 8 ‘Beloved’ primary school headteacher leaving after 16 years in Soham
- 9 Volunteer group's Covid-closure after raising £70,000 in 30 years
- 10 Letters: How could we afford 120 police officers for boat race?
Lakings of Louth will now go forward to the national final taking place at Butchers’ Hall, London, in June.