Plenty to ‘snout’ about for award-winning Ely butcher
- Credit: Archant
Edis of Ely scooped almost 20 awards for its piggy products at the East Midlands Pork Products Excellence Awards held earlier this month.
The event saw 341 products from more than 50 butchers put before the judges in Newark, Nottinghamshire, all vying to be crowned overall champion.
That title was taken by Lincolnshire’s Lakings but High Street butcher Edis came away with a hatful of awards for its efforts, including seven gold medals.
Owner Andrew Edis’s pork and apple burger, smoked gammon steak, chilli Scotch egg, breakfast Scotch egg, thin crust pork pie and farmhouse pasty all came away with top awards.
Edis also picked up nine silver awards and three bronze awards.
You may also want to watch:
Claire Holland, of award organisers BPEX, said: “We were delighted to see such a great turnout from butchers in the region - 341 entries from 51 butchers is a great result for the East Midlands roadshow.
“And the standards did not disappoint, which made judging incredibly hard. Over a third of the products entered achieved a gold award – scoring 95-100 points out of 100. That’s a real testament to the quality of the products being produced by butchers and farm shops in the East Midlands.”
- 1 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 2 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 3 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 4 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 5 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 6 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 7 East Cambridgeshire is ‘home to the noisiest neighbours in the country’
- 8 Three hare coursers - with three children and three dogs in car - fined for damaging crops
- 9 Care home still 'requires improvement'
- 10 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
Lakings of Louth will now go forward to the national final taking place at Butchers’ Hall, London, in June.