Gallery gathering momentum
ANGELA Mellor is an internationally renowned ceramic artist and her gallery can be found at 38a St Mary s Street, Ely. Angela studied art and design at Manchester University, and in 1984 specialised in porcelain at the University of East Anglia. Since th
ANGELA Mellor is an internationally renowned ceramic artist and her gallery can be found at 38a St Mary's Street, Ely.
Angela studied art and design at Manchester University, and in 1984 specialised in porcelain at the University of East Anglia.
Since then, Angela has studied and exhibited her ceramics all over the world, including Australia where she lived for 12 years. She has won numerous awards, and is also very honoured to have recently been elected a Member of the International Academy of Ceramics, Geneva, which means she can now exhibit with the academy and next year, will have her work displayed in China.
In September 2006, Angela moved back to the UK and purchased the gallery in Ely from friend and fellow artist Ronald Pile.
You may also want to watch:
She held her first Christmas exhibition soon afterwards and this year the theme for her four exhibitions is the four seasons.
Angela said: "I wanted to bring something new to Ely and have work on display from local, national as well as international artists. Each exhibition has work representing the colour and textures of each season."
- 1 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 2 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 3 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 4 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa
- 5 Ely Museum team member retires after 16 years' service
- 6 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 7 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 8 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 9 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 10 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs
The current summer exhibition is full of bright and vibrant colours representing the sea and the sun. Among the 20 artists exhibiting work is Peter Layton the London-based glass blower, jewellery from the internationally recognised designer Dorothy Erickson and jewellers Claire Lowe and Gill Forsbrook.
"Local painter Stuart Green has been very well received at this exhibition," Angela told the Ely Standard.
"He has recently been to Australia and this is reflected in his current work."
The Angela Mellor Gallery is gathering momentum and Angela plans to open her own studio soon and will then take workshops in bone china, paper and clay. The autumn exhibition opens on September 9 with exhibits in wood, metal textiles and ceramics.
The Angela Mellor Gallery is at 38a St Mary's Street, Ely, Cambridgeshire CB7 4ES 01353 666675. It is open from 10.30am till 5pm from Wednesday to Saturday and Sundays from 2pm till 5pm. Email: angela@angelamellor
gallery.com or visit www.angelamellorgallery.