Ely barber dusts off scissors for new city venture
POPULAR Ely barber Tony Milan has dusted off his scissors and stepped out of retirement to open his second barber shop in the city.
Tony, 70, decided to retire six years ago to enjoy a quieter life at home in Fordham but found that spending time tending his allotment simply wasn’t cutting it.
He said: “I’ve always enjoyed being a barber, it’s in the blood and I’ve never done anything else in my life. I tried allotment work but it just wasn’t the same.”
Tony was taught how to shave and how to cut hair by his father Claudio, himself a second generation barber, as a young man in Lago Maggiore, in the north of Italy.
Tony moved to Ely 18 years ago and opened Tony’s Barber Shop, in Market Street.
You may also want to watch:
The shop is now run by his sons Jason and Robert, with his third son Christopher joining him at his new outlet, at 46 St Mary’s Street.
“It’s the best looking place in Ely,” said Tony. “I’ve done more shaving in three days than I’ve done in three years but I’m enjoying it. It’s a beautiful place.”
- 1 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 2 ‘We are still struggling to cope’: Pet rescuers face ‘horrific situation’
- 3 Residents 'horrified' by Swastika graffiti in grounds of Ely Cathedral
- 4 Lockdown easing - 10 pubs and restaurants say welcome back
- 5 Police swoop on Chatteris housing estate following machete threat
- 6 Man remains in custody after 'firearm and threat to kill' arrest
- 7 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 8 Littleport marks Royal British Legion centenary year with moving ceremony
- 9 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
- 10 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
INFO: Contact the shop on 01353 661188.