Ely barber dusts off scissors for new city venture
POPULAR Ely barber Tony Milan has dusted off his scissors and stepped out of retirement to open his second barber shop in the city.
Tony, 70, decided to retire six years ago to enjoy a quieter life at home in Fordham but found that spending time tending his allotment simply wasn’t cutting it.
He said: “I’ve always enjoyed being a barber, it’s in the blood and I’ve never done anything else in my life. I tried allotment work but it just wasn’t the same.”
Tony was taught how to shave and how to cut hair by his father Claudio, himself a second generation barber, as a young man in Lago Maggiore, in the north of Italy.
Tony moved to Ely 18 years ago and opened Tony’s Barber Shop, in Market Street.
You may also want to watch:
The shop is now run by his sons Jason and Robert, with his third son Christopher joining him at his new outlet, at 46 St Mary’s Street.
“It’s the best looking place in Ely,” said Tony. “I’ve done more shaving in three days than I’ve done in three years but I’m enjoying it. It’s a beautiful place.”
- 1 Councillors praised for 'tireless' illegal encampment work
- 2 Former deputy mayor wants to move Newmarket to Cambridgeshire
- 3 Club shuts its doors after illegal encampment spotted
- 4 20 travelling families park illegally at rugby club
- 5 East Cambs could be getting five new walking routes
- 6 White van driver sought after Passat overturns
- 7 Round one to High Flyer after highways gives thumbs up to giant mug
- 8 Glamping site granted drinks licence despite neighbours' protests
- 9 Leader’s reminder of human cost of £100k homes fall-out
- 10 Annual classic car show returns to Ely
INFO: Contact the shop on 01353 661188.