Ely barber dusts off scissors for new city venture
POPULAR Ely barber Tony Milan has dusted off his scissors and stepped out of retirement to open his second barber shop in the city.
Tony, 70, decided to retire six years ago to enjoy a quieter life at home in Fordham but found that spending time tending his allotment simply wasn’t cutting it.
He said: “I’ve always enjoyed being a barber, it’s in the blood and I’ve never done anything else in my life. I tried allotment work but it just wasn’t the same.”
Tony was taught how to shave and how to cut hair by his father Claudio, himself a second generation barber, as a young man in Lago Maggiore, in the north of Italy.
Tony moved to Ely 18 years ago and opened Tony’s Barber Shop, in Market Street.
You may also want to watch:
The shop is now run by his sons Jason and Robert, with his third son Christopher joining him at his new outlet, at 46 St Mary’s Street.
“It’s the best looking place in Ely,” said Tony. “I’ve done more shaving in three days than I’ve done in three years but I’m enjoying it. It’s a beautiful place.”
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Son's touching tribute: 'My father fought with passion for that in which he believed'
- 3 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 4 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 5 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 6 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 7 Ambulance charity first in East to transfer Covid-19 patients by air
- 8 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week
- 9 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
INFO: Contact the shop on 01353 661188.