Ely barber dusts off scissors for new city venture
POPULAR Ely barber Tony Milan has dusted off his scissors and stepped out of retirement to open his second barber shop in the city.
Tony, 70, decided to retire six years ago to enjoy a quieter life at home in Fordham but found that spending time tending his allotment simply wasn’t cutting it.
He said: “I’ve always enjoyed being a barber, it’s in the blood and I’ve never done anything else in my life. I tried allotment work but it just wasn’t the same.”
Tony was taught how to shave and how to cut hair by his father Claudio, himself a second generation barber, as a young man in Lago Maggiore, in the north of Italy.
Tony moved to Ely 18 years ago and opened Tony’s Barber Shop, in Market Street.
The shop is now run by his sons Jason and Robert, with his third son Christopher joining him at his new outlet, at 46 St Mary’s Street.
“It’s the best looking place in Ely,” said Tony. “I’ve done more shaving in three days than I’ve done in three years but I’m enjoying it. It’s a beautiful place.”
- 1 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 2 Taxi firm introduce ‘hangover recovery kits’ during Christmas party season
- 3 Council's plea to protect East Cambs from Covid-19 this Christmas
- 4 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
- 5 New-look girls' team bolstered on and off the pitch
- 6 'She will be sorely missed' - Rev Teresa retires
- 7 Therapy dogs' ‘meet and greet’ in Ely raises £130 for charity
- 8 St Ives man undergoes pioneering heart treatment
- 9 Air cadet Rory given fitting farewell after loyal service
- 10 Crowds enjoy all on offer at city’s yule pagan and alternative fayre
INFO: Contact the shop on 01353 661188.