Duke of York flies in to open new £1m facility
PRINCE Andrew flew into Ely last week to open a new £1 million business facility. He arrived by private helicopter as a special representative of International Trade and Investment and opened a new building for award-winning manufacturing and engineering
PRINCE Andrew flew into Ely last week to open a new £1 million business facility.
He arrived by private helicopter as a special representative of International Trade and Investment and opened a new building for award-winning manufacturing and engineering company Shearline.
Damion Clark, from Shearline, said: "He made a really nice speech about Shearline's achievements. He talked about the marginal profits of UK engineering companies and seemed really touched at the progress we have made."
The Duke of York was taken on a tour of the facility, spoke to members of staff and learned about the latest manufacturing process being introduced.
The new 10,000 sq ft building features a number of state-of-the-art environmental features such as rain water collection and usage, and energy generated from wind power. Linked to the current Shearline factory, it will enable Hybrid Laser Tech, a precision laser-cutting company bought by Shearline in 2005, to become an integral part of the company's complete manufacturing offer to its customers.
David Lonsdale, Shearline's sales and marketing manager, said: "It was an honour to welcome His Royal Highness, The Duke of York to Shearline and we were delighted to show him around our facility and receive his praise as he officially opened the new building for Hybrid Laser Tech.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 3 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 4 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 5 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
- 6 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 7 ‘It’s been like this for 11 months’ - woman’s assisted refuse collection failure
- 8 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 9 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
"The additional capabilities that Hybrid offers, coupled with our complete manufacturing service, reinforces Shearline's strong position in the industry and ensures we are in a robust position in an increasingly competitive market.