Duke of York flies in to open new £1m facility
PRINCE Andrew flew into Ely last week to open a new £1 million business facility. He arrived by private helicopter as a special representative of International Trade and Investment and opened a new building for award-winning manufacturing and engineering
PRINCE Andrew flew into Ely last week to open a new £1 million business facility.
He arrived by private helicopter as a special representative of International Trade and Investment and opened a new building for award-winning manufacturing and engineering company Shearline.
Damion Clark, from Shearline, said: "He made a really nice speech about Shearline's achievements. He talked about the marginal profits of UK engineering companies and seemed really touched at the progress we have made."
The Duke of York was taken on a tour of the facility, spoke to members of staff and learned about the latest manufacturing process being introduced.
You may also want to watch:
The new 10,000 sq ft building features a number of state-of-the-art environmental features such as rain water collection and usage, and energy generated from wind power. Linked to the current Shearline factory, it will enable Hybrid Laser Tech, a precision laser-cutting company bought by Shearline in 2005, to become an integral part of the company's complete manufacturing offer to its customers.
David Lonsdale, Shearline's sales and marketing manager, said: "It was an honour to welcome His Royal Highness, The Duke of York to Shearline and we were delighted to show him around our facility and receive his praise as he officially opened the new building for Hybrid Laser Tech.
- 1 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 2 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 3 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 4 Ely named the UK’s most baby-friendly location
- 5 Nostalgic throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 6 Slimmer launches weight loss group after losing three stone
- 7 Ely man caught after nine months on the run from Suffolk prison
- 8 Second World War and SAS hero remembered with new street signs
- 9 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 10 National Trust reveal theft of 'historic items' and damage to Wimpole Hall
"The additional capabilities that Hybrid offers, coupled with our complete manufacturing service, reinforces Shearline's strong position in the industry and ensures we are in a robust position in an increasingly competitive market.