Devolution and Brexit are the talking points as MP Lucy Frazer meets with local business leaders
- Credit: Archant
MP Lucy Frazer says small businesses are the “lifeblood” of the region’s economy after meeting with their owners to discuss the implications of Britain’s decision to leave the EU.
Ms Fraser met with the owners of businesses in the area, East Cambridgeshire District Council representative Andy Jones and chairman of the Greater Cambridge Federation of Small Businesses, Alan Todd at Ely Golf Club.
Devolution, business crimes and the implication of Britain’s exit from the European Union were all discussed in what Ms Frazer described as a “very useful” meeting.
She said: “I was delighted to attend what was a very useful meeting with local businesses. Small businesses are the lifeblood of the economy of South East Cambridgeshire and I am very concerned that the area continues to be seen as open for business.
“We had a very constructive discussion. I am always happy for businesses to contact me about issues such as business crime and business rates which I will take forward with the people concerned.”
Alan Todd said: “We are really grateful to Lucy for taking the time to listen to the concerns of our members and to let us have the latest Government thinking in these uncertain times.
“The top issues that were discussed were the proposed reform of business rates, the implications of leaving the EU for our businesses and how we can make apprenticeships work for the local economy. Lucy was very attentive to our concerns and I am sure that she will help as much as she can.”
- 1 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 2 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 3 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 4 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 5 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 6 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 7 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 8 Frustration for Ely City is United's gain as unbeaten home run ends
- 9 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 10 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series