City development strategy planned
LETTERS are being sent to bosses of Ely businesses inviting them to help develop an economic development strategy for the city. They have been written by Cllr John Yates, chairman of the Ely Perspective Business Group, which took over when the long-establ
LETTERS are being sent to bosses of Ely businesses inviting them to help develop an economic development strategy for the city.
They have been written by Cllr John Yates, chairman of the Ely Perspective Business Group, which took over when the long-established Ely and District Chamber of Trade and Commerce was wound up.
He said: "The perspective has already done a lot to support and develop local trade and industry, including the highly successful drop-in networking sessions run at the Lamb Hotel for nearly three years.
"But more needs to be done as Ely expands and the district council considers long-term development proposals such as the Local Development Framework. So I hope we will get widespread backing for an organisation to represent all aspects of local commerce.
You may also want to watch:
"We don't want to repeat the mistakes of the past by merely representing small vested interest groups but seek to be an inclusive, influential body made up of traders large and small, service industries such as tourism, market traders, developers and manufacturers.
"In short, we want to make sure that business has a strong local voice in any debate about Ely's future development."
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 3 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 4 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 5 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 6 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 7 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 8 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 9 Superb acting, singing and dancing at KD Theatre musical
- 10 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
Cllr Yates, a retired senior civil servant, plans to hold a public meeting and to set up a small executive committee to take the project forward.
INFO: Anyone interested in taking part can contact him on
01353 667672 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org