Businesses challenged as Ely Eel Throwing Championships announced
- Credit: Archant
As part of Ely’s 10th Eel Festival weekend, businesses across the city are being challenged to compete in the first ever city centre Eel Throwing Championship.
The competition will involve teams of up to four from companies and shops across Ely throwing ‘eels’ to see who in Ely has the best technique and strongest arm to become the champion.
The championship, supported by Ely Chamber of Commerce, will take place at 11am on Friday, May 2, in Market Place, Ely.
This is a warm up to the World Eel Throwing Competition, open to everyone, being held on Jubilee Gardens as part of Eel Day and supported by The Cutter Inn.
To celebrate the festival’s 10 years, this year’s activities will last from May 2-5 are set to be bigger than ever and will include a food and drink festival, a food safari as well as the old favourites of the parade and the carnival on Jubilee Gardens.
You may also want to watch:
Tracey Harding, tourism leader at East Cambridgeshire District Council, said: “With the Eel Festival celebrating its 10th anniversary it was an ideal opportunity to challenge our local businesses to see who is prepared to stand up and throw a stuffed toy eel the furthest.
“There will of course be time to practise as no special equipment or special clothing is required - competitors in the past have used a stuffed sock in the shape of an eel to try to develop the best technique possible to take account of any special weather conditions.
- 1 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 2 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 3 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 4 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 5 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 6 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 7 East Cambridgeshire is ‘home to the noisiest neighbours in the country’
- 8 Three hare coursers - with three children and three dogs in car - fined for damaging crops
- 9 Care home still 'requires improvement'
- 10 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
To enter a team for the championship please contact Lewis Bage on 01353 665555 or email email@example.com.
For information on all these activities and many other fringe events keep checking out our Eel Festival Weekend page at www.visitely.org.uk and follow us on Twitter @visitely.