Burwell design company celebrates work on Canadian ice-breaker ferries
- Credit: Archant
A specialist Burwell firm has helped design ultra-modern passenger accommodation for two new ferries built for the government of Newfoundland and Labrador in Canada.
Dutch shipbuilders Damen Shipyards asked Burwell-based Design Triangle to come up with draft sketches in May last year with a mission to reflect the ruggedly beautiful environment of the Fogo Island and Bell Island destinations of the new ferries.
The two companies have collaborated for the past 10 years on various ship and boat building projects.
As well as designing seated and food-serving areas, the Design Triangle team visualised play areas for children themed to reflect local landmarks.
At their studio in The Maltings, Design Triangle prepared photo-realistic images of the passenger saloons based on Damen’s engineering drawings, allowing the client’s project director Henk Grunstra to refine details before the vessels were completed.
You may also want to watch:
The two ice-breaker class roll-on roll-off ferries will serve fishermen, commuters and tourists, as well as accommodating trucks bringing supplies to the islands.
Design Triangle director Andrew Crawshaw attended the launch of the MV Veteran on the River Danube at Gala?i, Romania, along with transport minister, David Brazil, both ferries will be sailed across the Atlantic to their new Canadian owners.
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 3 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 4 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 5 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 6 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 7 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 8 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 9 Superb acting, singing and dancing at KD Theatre musical
- 10 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
A film of the launch of the MV Veteran can be watched at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiV2ErTzonc
Design Triangle director Andrew Crawshaw, who explained his firm has built fast ferries and catamarans for worldwide clients in the past, said: “In our work with the Dutch manufacturer and their Canadian client, we’re delighted to have exemplified the wide range of expertise and creativity available to the world in the Cambridge area.”