Burwell design company celebrates work on Canadian ice-breaker ferries
- Credit: Archant
A specialist Burwell firm has helped design ultra-modern passenger accommodation for two new ferries built for the government of Newfoundland and Labrador in Canada.
Dutch shipbuilders Damen Shipyards asked Burwell-based Design Triangle to come up with draft sketches in May last year with a mission to reflect the ruggedly beautiful environment of the Fogo Island and Bell Island destinations of the new ferries.
The two companies have collaborated for the past 10 years on various ship and boat building projects.
As well as designing seated and food-serving areas, the Design Triangle team visualised play areas for children themed to reflect local landmarks.
At their studio in The Maltings, Design Triangle prepared photo-realistic images of the passenger saloons based on Damen’s engineering drawings, allowing the client’s project director Henk Grunstra to refine details before the vessels were completed.
The two ice-breaker class roll-on roll-off ferries will serve fishermen, commuters and tourists, as well as accommodating trucks bringing supplies to the islands.
Design Triangle director Andrew Crawshaw attended the launch of the MV Veteran on the River Danube at Gala?i, Romania, along with transport minister, David Brazil, both ferries will be sailed across the Atlantic to their new Canadian owners.
- 1 Government clearance needed for £200,000 year role for Eileen
- 2 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
- 3 Neighbour and PCSO prevent £4,000 fraud
- 4 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 5 Busy road near RAF Lakenheath reopens after five-vehicle crash
- 6 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 7 Frying High! National honours for Ely at potato awards
- 8 Taxi firm introduce ‘hangover recovery kits’ during Christmas party season
- 9 Council's plea to protect East Cambs from Covid-19 this Christmas
- 10 Green bin collections suspended
A film of the launch of the MV Veteran can be watched at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiV2ErTzonc
Design Triangle director Andrew Crawshaw, who explained his firm has built fast ferries and catamarans for worldwide clients in the past, said: “In our work with the Dutch manufacturer and their Canadian client, we’re delighted to have exemplified the wide range of expertise and creativity available to the world in the Cambridge area.”