Brothers looking to breathe new life into Sutton shop
- Credit: Archant
BUSINESS brothers Mark and Pete Petrou have called for the backing of Sutton residents for their plans to convert a former butcher’s shop into a deli and cafe.
The duo, who have owned and run several fish and chip shops in the area, including in Ely, Cambridge and Chatteris, bought the former Hills, Harnwell and Rutterford shop earlier this year.
The High Street outlet has been the subject of two failed planning applications in the past 12 months, by previous owners, who sought to turn it into a takeaway.
The Petrous have held two consultation events with residents this year however, and say that plans for a deli selling produce made in Sutton and the surrounding villages was one of the most popular options.
This week, the duo entered a planning application to East Cambridgeshire District Council for permission to convert the premises into a deli, with facilities to cook and sell hot food.
Pete Petrou said: “In order for this to succeed, we need the help and support of the people that form the community that we are setting up shop in and that means that even at a basic level you have to trust me.
“A big ask, I know, but I can’t be any fairer than I have been. I have been open, honest and frank about the realities of doing business in today’s economic climate, and about how people spend their money, and both what they want to buy and can afford.”
- 1 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 2 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 3 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 4 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 5 Nuisance caller flouted court order day after prison release
- 6 Magpas Air Ambulance doctor, Anne, shortlisted for national award
- 7 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 8 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 9 Arts centre gets £25,000 post-Covid lifeline
- 10 Everything you need to know about Ely Cathedral's Christmas Gift & Food Fair 2021
The proposed opening hours of the shop will be 8am-7pm on Monday to Friday and 8am-8pm on Saturdays.
A decision on the plans is expected within the next eight weeks. To view the plans, or to have a say, visit www.eastcambs.gov.uk