Brothers looking to breathe new life into Sutton shop
- Credit: Archant
BUSINESS brothers Mark and Pete Petrou have called for the backing of Sutton residents for their plans to convert a former butcher’s shop into a deli and cafe.
The duo, who have owned and run several fish and chip shops in the area, including in Ely, Cambridge and Chatteris, bought the former Hills, Harnwell and Rutterford shop earlier this year.
The High Street outlet has been the subject of two failed planning applications in the past 12 months, by previous owners, who sought to turn it into a takeaway.
The Petrous have held two consultation events with residents this year however, and say that plans for a deli selling produce made in Sutton and the surrounding villages was one of the most popular options.
This week, the duo entered a planning application to East Cambridgeshire District Council for permission to convert the premises into a deli, with facilities to cook and sell hot food.
You may also want to watch:
Pete Petrou said: “In order for this to succeed, we need the help and support of the people that form the community that we are setting up shop in and that means that even at a basic level you have to trust me.
“A big ask, I know, but I can’t be any fairer than I have been. I have been open, honest and frank about the realities of doing business in today’s economic climate, and about how people spend their money, and both what they want to buy and can afford.”
- 1 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 2 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 3 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 4 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 5 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 6 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 7 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 8 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 9 Superb acting, singing and dancing at KD Theatre musical
- 10 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
The proposed opening hours of the shop will be 8am-7pm on Monday to Friday and 8am-8pm on Saturdays.
A decision on the plans is expected within the next eight weeks. To view the plans, or to have a say, visit www.eastcambs.gov.uk