Brian Ashton Is The New Mayor of Ely
THE city of Ely welcomed a new mayor this week as councillor Brian Ashton was formally handed the chain and robes of office. Cllr Ashton, returning for his second stint as mayor, was welcomed into the post by dozens of colleagues and dignitaries who gathe
THE city of Ely welcomed a new mayor this week as councillor Brian Ashton was formally handed the chain and robes of office.
Cllr Ashton, returning for his second stint as mayor, was welcomed into the post by dozens of colleagues and dignitaries who gathered for the official mayor-making ceremony held at the Hayward Theatre in Ely on Monday.
Delighted at being able to take the post of mayor once more, Cllr Aston said: "It was a very nice ceremony and I am looking forward to the coming year as mayor.
"We are going to be concentrating on celebrating the work of the volunteer in the community this year and my wife and I are going to be working closely with a number of local volunteer groups and offering our support to them."
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Ashton's wife Dene was elected as his consort for the year while the Revered Alan Hulme was chosen to serve as Chaplin for his time in office. Raising awareness and supporting volunteers in the community was also nominated as the new mayor's chosen cause for the upcoming year.
Cllr Ashton takes over from outgoing mayor Richard Hobbs, who welcomed his city council colleague into office,
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Son's touching tribute: 'My father fought with passion for that in which he believed'
- 4 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 5 Man named following fatal collision
- 6 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 7 Ex-councillor launches 'one million steps' charity challenge
- 8 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week
- 9 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 10 Ambulance charity first in East to transfer Covid-19 patients by air
"It's been a most wonderful year, people have been so kind to my wife and I during the year but there has to be a beginning and an end.
"I think the visit of the Her Majesty the Queen was a personal highlight as was handing the freedom of the city to the City of Ely Band. Every year is special as mayor but the last year has been exceptionally special."
Outgoing mayor Richard Hobbs (right) hands over to Ely's new mayor Brian Ashton.
Photo: GEOFF DURRANT.