Apprenticeships hit record high as employers get behind skills drive
- Credit: Archant
The number of apprenticeships in Cambridgeshire has hit a record high as the county’s employers back a new generation of workers.
Data released this week showed a 69 per cent increase in apprenticeship vacancies in Cambridgeshire posted on the apprenticeship vacancies website between August and October 2014, compared to the same period the previous year.
590 vacancies were advertised over the three months versus 350 in 2013/14.
Nationally, the greatest number of apprenticeship vacancies was forbBusiness, administration and law, some 18,940, whilst health, public services and care apprenticeships saw the biggest rise in vacancies year-on-year, with an increase of 50 per cent.
Skills Minister, Nick Boles said: “Apprenticeships are at the heart of the Government’s drive to equip people with the skills employers want and need.
“We want it to become the new norm for people to choose between an apprenticeship or university as equally prestigious routes to a great career.
“That is why it’s so encouraging to see even more excellent apprenticeship opportunities available across the country.”
- 1 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 2 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 3 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 4 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 5 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 6 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 7 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 8 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 9 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 10 'Farmgate' report leaks reveal concerns over Manor Farm tenancy
The annual celebration of apprenticeships, National Apprenticeship Week takes place from March 9-13. Go to www.gov.uk/naw2015 to find out how to get involved.
Or to find out more about apprenticeships visit greatbusiness.gov.uk/apprenticeships if you’re an employer, apprenticeships.gov.uk if you want to find out about becoming an apprentice or call 08000 150 600.