Apprenticeships hit record high as employers get behind skills drive
- Credit: Archant
The number of apprenticeships in Cambridgeshire has hit a record high as the county’s employers back a new generation of workers.
Data released this week showed a 69 per cent increase in apprenticeship vacancies in Cambridgeshire posted on the apprenticeship vacancies website between August and October 2014, compared to the same period the previous year.
590 vacancies were advertised over the three months versus 350 in 2013/14.
Nationally, the greatest number of apprenticeship vacancies was forbBusiness, administration and law, some 18,940, whilst health, public services and care apprenticeships saw the biggest rise in vacancies year-on-year, with an increase of 50 per cent.
Skills Minister, Nick Boles said: “Apprenticeships are at the heart of the Government’s drive to equip people with the skills employers want and need.
You may also want to watch:
“We want it to become the new norm for people to choose between an apprenticeship or university as equally prestigious routes to a great career.
“That is why it’s so encouraging to see even more excellent apprenticeship opportunities available across the country.”
- 1 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 2 Firefighters tackle deliberate barn blaze for more than four hours
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 4 Punch in face leaves man with fractured nose
- 5 Boy, 14, to wear electronic tag and obey curfew after admitting harassment
- 6 iPads and laptops stolen in school break-in
- 7 Defeated Tory hits out at ‘toxic brand’ and says ‘James Palmer had it coming’
- 8 Village-wide pyjama day raises £1,600 for Cambridge's new children’s hospital
- 9 Letters: No praise for Palmer, litter picker success and neglected roads
- 10 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
The annual celebration of apprenticeships, National Apprenticeship Week takes place from March 9-13. Go to www.gov.uk/naw2015 to find out how to get involved.
Or to find out more about apprenticeships visit greatbusiness.gov.uk/apprenticeships if you’re an employer, apprenticeships.gov.uk if you want to find out about becoming an apprentice or call 08000 150 600.