Apprenticeships hit record high as employers get behind skills drive
- Credit: Archant
The number of apprenticeships in Cambridgeshire has hit a record high as the county’s employers back a new generation of workers.
Data released this week showed a 69 per cent increase in apprenticeship vacancies in Cambridgeshire posted on the apprenticeship vacancies website between August and October 2014, compared to the same period the previous year.
590 vacancies were advertised over the three months versus 350 in 2013/14.
Nationally, the greatest number of apprenticeship vacancies was forbBusiness, administration and law, some 18,940, whilst health, public services and care apprenticeships saw the biggest rise in vacancies year-on-year, with an increase of 50 per cent.
Skills Minister, Nick Boles said: “Apprenticeships are at the heart of the Government’s drive to equip people with the skills employers want and need.
You may also want to watch:
“We want it to become the new norm for people to choose between an apprenticeship or university as equally prestigious routes to a great career.
“That is why it’s so encouraging to see even more excellent apprenticeship opportunities available across the country.”
- 1 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 4 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 5 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 6 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 7 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 8 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 9 Hundreds sign petition in support of pub's cup of positivi-tea
- 10 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
The annual celebration of apprenticeships, National Apprenticeship Week takes place from March 9-13. Go to www.gov.uk/naw2015 to find out how to get involved.
Or to find out more about apprenticeships visit greatbusiness.gov.uk/apprenticeships if you’re an employer, apprenticeships.gov.uk if you want to find out about becoming an apprentice or call 08000 150 600.