Apprenticeships hit record high as employers get behind skills drive
- Credit: Archant
The number of apprenticeships in Cambridgeshire has hit a record high as the county’s employers back a new generation of workers.
Data released this week showed a 69 per cent increase in apprenticeship vacancies in Cambridgeshire posted on the apprenticeship vacancies website between August and October 2014, compared to the same period the previous year.
590 vacancies were advertised over the three months versus 350 in 2013/14.
Nationally, the greatest number of apprenticeship vacancies was forbBusiness, administration and law, some 18,940, whilst health, public services and care apprenticeships saw the biggest rise in vacancies year-on-year, with an increase of 50 per cent.
Skills Minister, Nick Boles said: “Apprenticeships are at the heart of the Government’s drive to equip people with the skills employers want and need.
You may also want to watch:
“We want it to become the new norm for people to choose between an apprenticeship or university as equally prestigious routes to a great career.
“That is why it’s so encouraging to see even more excellent apprenticeship opportunities available across the country.”
- 1 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 2 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 3 Ely named the UK’s most baby-friendly location
- 4 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 5 Burglary tip-off unearths £1.38m cannabis 'factory'
- 6 Ely man caught after nine months on the run from Suffolk prison
- 7 Contractors 'did not follow the brief' when it came to drain maintenance
- 8 Cineworld Ely expected to reopen in May
- 9 Slimmer launches weight loss group after losing three stone
- 10 Lunging challenge in boyfriend's memory raises thousands for charity
The annual celebration of apprenticeships, National Apprenticeship Week takes place from March 9-13. Go to www.gov.uk/naw2015 to find out how to get involved.
Or to find out more about apprenticeships visit greatbusiness.gov.uk/apprenticeships if you’re an employer, apprenticeships.gov.uk if you want to find out about becoming an apprentice or call 08000 150 600.