Adrian enjoys taste of success
Adrian Smith, the chef proprietor of The Merry Monk, in Isleham, is passionate about food. He said I am proud of my kitchen and the fact that all of my food is fresh and prepared to order. We make almost everything on the premises, from bread sticks at
Adrian Smith, the chef proprietor of The Merry Monk, in Isleham, is passionate about food.
He said "I am proud of my kitchen and the fact that all of my food is fresh and prepared to order.
"We make almost everything on the premises, from bread sticks at the start of the meal to the marshmallows served with coffee at the end.
"The exceptions are bread and ice cream, but even these are supplied by small locally independent outlets."
Adrian cares about getting it right and has a team of three chefs working with him, which increases to five on a Saturday night.
"Whenever the restaurant is open I am in the kitchen preparing the food with my team. I love my trade and I am not secretive about it I want to pass my passion on to others," he said.
- 1 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 2 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 3 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 4 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 5 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 6 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 7 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 8 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 9 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 10 'Farmgate' report leaks reveal concerns over Manor Farm tenancy
His team have all been trained by him and Adrian is always delighted to hear from young people with an interest in the restaurant industry and will happily pass on his knowledge.
Adrian's enthusiasm inspires his staff, and the friendly atmosphere at The Merry Monk is helped by the fact that his wife and mother and father-in-law all have a hand in the business.
He even uses his family treacle tart and stuffing recipes on Sunday lunchtimes, with a "tweak of something extra".
Adrian's approach might mean extra work, but he is so committed to providing a high standard of cuisine at the Merry Monk that nothing but the best is good enough.
"It doesn't take a lot to provide those little extras. Of course, the food is central, but our goal is that we want you to enjoy the whole experience, so that you will want to come back for more."
The restaurant celebrates its fifth birthday on August 5.
The Merry Monk is open Tuesday to Sundays from 7pm, and Thursday, Friday and Sunday lunchtimes from noon-3pm. Booking is advisable but not essential.
INFO: The Merry Monk, West Street, Isleham CB7 5SB. Telephone 01638 780900.